P.K. Shah, MD
Director, Oppenheimer Atherosclerosis Research Ctr, Cardiology
Director, Atherosclerosis Prevention and Mgt Ctr, Cardiology
Awards and Activities
|Distinguised Scientific Achievement Award, American College of Cardiology||2012|
|James B Herrick Award||2008|
|Annual Laennec Society Lecture||2008|
|Pioneer in Medicine Award||2007|
|Lifetime Acheivement Award||2002|
|Gifted Teacher Award||2001|
|Dean's Award for Excellence in Teaching||1990|
|Shapell and Webb Family Chair in Clinical Cardiology||1990|
Molecular mechanisms of atherosclerosis and novel therapeutic strategies to prevent and reverse atherosclerosis.
Discovered the atheroprotective and atheroregressive effects of recombinant mutant apolipoprotein (apo A-I milano) and led its development into a therapeutic strategy.
Developed the concept of immunomodulation of atherosclerosis using oxidized LDL and apo B-100 related peptide antigens in a vaccination strategy.
Established the concept that macrophages and metalloproteinases contribute to plaque rupture and thrombosis.
Current investigations include:
Role of novel genes (Tenascin and Pleotrophin) in atherosclerosis ,plaque neovascularity and intraplaque hemorrhage. Potential role of peritoneum derived progenitor cells and vasculogenesis. Immune modulation of atherosclerosis with Apo B 100 peptides and their potential mechanism of action. Gene transfer of Apo A-I milano using AAV vectors for atherosclerosis modulation. Modulation of atherosclerosis by plant derived Apo A-I milano.
- Sharifi BG, Zeng Z, Wang L, Song L, Chen H, Qin M, Sierra-Honigmann MR, Wachsmann-Hogiu S, Shah PK: Pleiotrophin induces transdifferentiation of monocytes into functional endothelial cells. Arterioscler. Thromb. Vasc. Biol., 26(6): 1273-80, 2006
- Wang L, Sharifi BG, Pan T, Song L, Yukht A, Shah PK: Bone marrow transplantation shows superior atheroprotective effects of gene therapy with apolipoprotein A-I Milano compared with wild-type apolipoprotein A-I in hyperlipidemic mice. J. Am. Coll. Cardiol., 48(7): 1459-68, 2006
- Michelsen KS, Wong MH, Shah PK, Zhang W, Yano J, Doherty TM, Akira S, Rajavashisth TB, Arditi M: Lack of Toll-like receptor 4 or myeloid differentiation factor 88 reduces atherosclerosis and alters plaque phenotype in mice deficient in apolipoprotein E. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. U.S.A., 101(29): 10679-84, 2004
- Chyu KY, Shah PK: Choking off plaque neovascularity: a promising atheroprotective strategy or a double-edged sword?. Arterioscler. Thromb. Vasc. Biol., 27(5): 993-5, 2007
- Fredrikson GN, Schiopu A, Berglund G, Alm R, Shah PK, Nilsson J: Autoantibody against the amino acid sequence 661-680 in apo B-100 is associated with decreased carotid stenosis and cardiovascular events. Atherosclerosis, 194(2): e188-92, 2007
- Shah PK: Innate immune pathway links obesity to insulin resistance. Circ. Res., 100(11): 1531-3, 2007