Follow Us:Follow Us on Twitter Like Us on Facebook Follow Us on Google+ Watch videos on our Youtube channel
Robin Shaw, MD, PhD
Staff Physician, Cardiology
Awards and Activities
|Member, American Society for Clinical Investigation||2014|
|Established Investigator Award, American Heart Association||2013|
|Study Section, National Institutes of Health||2010|
|Study Section, Nation Science Foundation||2007|
|Study Section, American Heart Association||2006|
|Golden Stethoscope Award, Division of Cardiology, UCSF||2003|
Molecular mechanisms of heart arrhythmias and heart failure progression. We focus on cardiac ion channel formation and trafficking, with particular emphasis on Connexin43 gap junctions and L-type calcium channels. In a "cell to bedside" approach, we are translating our basic findings into novel diagnostics and therapeutics for failing hearts.
Defined the Directed Delivery paradigm of ion channel trafficking and leader in the regulation of intercellular gap junction coupling.
Current investigations include:
Cells and mouse models of heart failure progression and altered contractility. Alternative translation of cardiac proteins. Cytoskeleton based mechanisms of ion channel trafficking. Development of novel biomarkers for chronic heart failure. Development of novel therapeutics for failing hearts.
- Smyth JW, Shaw RM: Autoregulation of connexin43 gap junction formation by internally translated isoforms. Cell Rep, 5(3): 611-8, 2013
- Smyth JW, Vogan JM, Buch PJ, Zhang SS, Fong TS, Hong TT, Shaw RM: Actin cytoskeleton rest stops regulate anterograde traffic of connexin 43 vesicles to the plasma membrane. Circ. Res., 110(7): 978-89, 2012
- Hong TT, Cogswell R, James CA, Kang G, Pullinger CR, Malloy MJ, Kane JP, Wojciak J, Calkins H, Scheinman MM, Tseng ZH, Ganz P, De Marco T, Judge DP, Shaw RM: Plasma BIN1 correlates with heart failure and predicts arrhythmia in patients with arrhythmogenic right ventricular cardiomyopathy. Heart rhythm : the official journal of the Heart Rhythm Society, 9(6): 961-7, 2012
- Hong TT, Smyth JW, Chu KY, Vogan JM, Fong TS, Jensen BC, Fang K, Halushka MK, Russell SD, Colecraft H, Hoopes CW, Ocorr K, Chi NC, Shaw RM: BIN1 is reduced and Cav1.2 trafficking is impaired in human failing cardiomyocytes. Heart rhythm : the official journal of the Heart Rhythm Society, 9(5): 812-20, 2011
- Smyth JW, Hong TT, Gao D, Vogan JM, Jensen BC, Fong TS, Simpson PC, Stainier DY, Chi NC, Shaw RM: Limited forward trafficking of connexin 43 reduces cell-cell coupling in stressed human and mouse myocardium. J. Clin. Invest., 120(1): 266-79, 2009
- Hong TT, Smyth JW, Gao D, Chu KY, Vogan JM, Fong TS, Jensen BC, Colecraft HM, Shaw RM: BIN1 localizes the L-type calcium channel to cardiac T-tubules. PLoS Biol., 8(2): e1000312, 2010