Follow Us:Follow Us on Twitter Like Us on Facebook Follow Us on Google+ Watch videos on our Youtube channel
Rohan Dharmakumar, PhD
Associate Director, Biomedical Imaging Research Institute, Biomedical Sciences
|Associate Professor, Biomedical Sciences|
Awards and Activities
|International Society for Magnetic Resonance||2000|
|Society for Cardiovascular Magnetic Resonance||2004|
|American Heart Association||2009|
Application of MRI methods to cardiovascular medicine.
Oxygen-sensitive approaches for evaluating coronary artery disease. Development of off-resonance imaging methods for interventional and cellular MRI. Development of methods for assessing acute myocardial infarctions. Development methods to assess intravascular blood pressure using microbubbles.
Current investigations include:
Fast imaging methods to detect and stage coronary artery disease. Development of MR-based methods to understand the mechanisms governing ischemia-reperfusion injury in the acute stage and remodeling in the chronic phase. Utilization of interventional MRI methods for delivering therapeutic substrates (stem cells, growth factors, etc.) following myocardial infarctions. Development of MR molecular imaging methods for the assessment of cardiovascular disease.
- Dharmakumar R, Hong J, Brittain JH, Plewes DB, Wright GA: Oxygen-sensitive contrast in blood for steady-state free precession imaging. Magn Reson Med, 53(3): 574-83, 2005
- Dharmakumar R, Arumana JM, Tang R, Harris K, Zhang Z, Li D: Assessment of regional myocardial oxygenation changes in the presence of coronary artery stenosis with balanced SSFP imaging at 3.0 T: theory and experimental evaluation in canines. Journal of magnetic resonance imaging : JMRI, 27(5): 1037-45, 2008
- Dharmakumar R, Koktzoglou I, Li D: Generating positive contrast from off-resonant spins with steady-state free precession magnetic resonance imaging: theory and proof-of-principle experiments. Phys Med Biol, 51(17): 4201-15, 2006
- Kumar A, Beohar N, Arumana JM, Larose E, Li D, Friedrich MG, Dharmakumar R: CMR imaging of edema in myocardial infarction using cine balanced steady-state free precession. JACC Cardiovasc Imaging, 4(12): 1265-73, 2011
- Tsaftaris SA, Tang R, Zhou X, Li D, Dharmakumar R: Ischemic extent as a biomarker for characterizing severity of coronary artery stenosis with blood oxygen-sensitive MRI. Journal of magnetic resonance imaging : JMRI, , 2012
- Dharmakumar R, Arumana JM, Larson AC, Chung Y, Wright GA, Li D: Cardiac phase-resolved blood oxygen-sensitive steady-state free precession MRI for evaluating the functional significance of coronary artery stenosis. Investigative radiology, 42(3): 180-8, 2007