Follow us:Follow Us on Twitter Like Us on Facebook Follow Us on Google+ Watch videos on our Youtube channel
Stephan R. Targan, MD
Director, Inflammatory Bowel & Immunobiology Research Institute
Director, Inflammatory Bowel Disease Center
Awards and Activities
|American Association of Physicians||1998|
|Feintech Family Chair in Inflammatory Bowel Disease||1992|
|American Society for Clinical Investigation||1985|
|Editorial Board: Clinical Gastroenterology and Hepatology||Current|
|Associate Editor: Inflammatory Bowel Diseases||Current|
|American Gastroenterological Association||1979|
Translational and basic research programs are primarily focused on immunopathologic mechanisms, novel therapeutics, and the translation of basic science findings for use in diagnosis, prognosis and targeted therapeutic selection in Inflammatory Bowel Disease. Human in vitro and animal model are used in genetic and immunobiologic investigations to elucidate the dysregulated immune responses in the gastrointestinal tract that lead to mucosal inflammation.
Introduced the concept of heterogeneity to the study of IBD and the role of serum immune markers in disease group stratification and disease course prediction. Leader in disease classification and determining how to use these responses as combinatorial traits that could aid in the discovery of homogenous mechanisms in IBD. Defined the role of the novel cytokine, TL1A, showing that TL1A is critically important to Th1/IFN-gamma responses. Demonstrated that TL1A is central to protection against invading pathogens, and to generation and perpetuation of inflammation.
Current investigations include:
Molecular and immunobologic investigations of cytokine regulation in mucosal inflammation. Combinatorial genomic investigation of IBD. Immunobiologic investigations of the human/mouse correlate flagellin, CBir1,in mucosal inflammation. Animal investigation of the role of TL1A, the master regulator of inflammation in the mucosa. Translational investigation of antibodies to TL1A as treatment for IBD patients. Clinical trials of multiple therapeutic agents.
- Barrett R, Zhang X, Koon HW, Vu M, Chang JY, Yeager N, Nguyen MA, Michelsen KS, Berel D, Pothoulakis C, Targan SR, Shih DQ: Constitutive TL1A expression under colitogenic conditions modulates the severity and location of gut mucosal inflammation and induces fibrostenosis. Am. J. Pathol., 180(2): 636-49, 2011
- Plevy SE, Targan SR: Future therapeutic approaches for inflammatory bowel diseases. Gastroenterology, 140(6): 1838-46, 2011
- Anderson CA, Boucher G, Lees CW, Franke A, D'Amato M, Taylor KD, Lee JC, Goyette P, Imielinski M, Latiano A, Lagacé C, Scott R, Amininejad L, Bumpstead S, Baidoo L, Baldassano RN, Barclay M, Bayless TM, Brand S, Büning C, Colombel JF, Denson LA, De Vos M, Dubinsky M, Edwards C, Ellinghaus D, Fehrmann RS, Floyd JA, Florin T, Franchimont D, Franke L, Georges M, Glas J, Glazer NL, Guthery SL, Haritunians T, Hayward NK, Hugot JP, Jobin G, Laukens D, Lawrance I, Lémann M, Levine A, Libioulle C, Louis E, McGovern DP, Milla M, Montgomery GW, Morley KI, Mowat C, Ng A, Newman W, Ophoff RA, Papi L, Palmieri O, Peyrin-Biroulet L, Panés J, Phillips A, Prescott NJ, Proctor DD, Roberts R, Russell R, Rutgeerts P, Sanderson J, Sans M, Schumm P, Seibold F, Sharma Y, Simms LA, Seielstad M, Steinhart AH, Targan SR, van den Berg LH, Vatn M, Verspaget H, Walters T, Wijmenga C, Wilson DC, Westra HJ, Xavier RJ, Zhao ZZ, Ponsioen CY, Andersen V, Torkvist L, Gazouli M, Anagnou NP, Karlsen TH, Kupcinskas L, Sventoraityte J, Mansfield JC, Kugathasan S, Silverberg MS, Halfvarson J, Rotter JI, Mathew CG, Griffiths AM, Gearry R, Ahmad T, Brant SR, Chamaillard M, Satsangi J, Cho JH, Schreiber S, Daly MJ, Barrett JC, Parkes M, Annese V, Hakonarson H, Radford-Smith G, Duerr RH, Vermeire S, Weersma RK, Rioux JD: Meta-analysis identifies 29 additional ulcerative colitis risk loci, increasing the number of confirmed associations to 47. Nat. Genet., 43(3): 246-52, 2011
- Haritunians T, Jones MR, McGovern DP, Shih DQ, Barrett RJ, Derkowski C, Dubinsky MC, Dutridge D, Fleshner PR, Ippoliti A, King L, Leshinsky-Silver E, Levine A, Melmed GY, Mengesha E, Vasilauskas EA, Ziaee S, Rotter JI, Targan SR, Taylor KD: Variants in ZNF365 isoform D are associated with Crohn's disease. Gut, 60(8): 1060-7, 2011
- Shih DQ, Barrett R, Zhang X, Yeager N, Koon HW, Phaosawasdi P, Song Y, Ko B, Wong MH, Michelsen KS, Martins G, Pothoulakis C, Targan SR: Constitutive TL1A (TNFSF15) expression on lymphoid or myeloid cells leads to mild intestinal inflammation and fibrosis. PLoS ONE, 6(1): e16090, 2011
- Shih DQ, Kwan LY, Chavez V, Cohavy O, Gonsky R, Chang EY, Chang C, Elson CO, Targan SR: Microbial induction of inflammatory bowel disease associated gene TL1A (TNFSF15) in antigen presenting cells. Eur. J. Immunol., 39(11): 3239-50, 2009