Maintaining Legal Status

Change of Address
All non-immigrant visa holders are required to notify USCIS within 10 days of a change of residential address. Details can be found in the change of address link above.

Change in employment status
Individual's H-1B status is dependent upon continued employment. H-1B petitions are employer and position specific, which means that the individual is authorized by USCIS to work only at CSMC in a specific position. the VISA office should be consulted prior to any changes in H-1B employment such as job title, job duties, salary, percentage of time, or location. An amended H-1B petition may be required under certain circumstances.

As H-1B status is employer specific, employees may not accept compensation, including honoraria, from any other entity. Individuals in H-1B status invited to give a lecture, collaborate, conduct research or present at other institutions can receive reimbursement for reasonable living and transportation costs only. An individual may work for more than one employer, but each employer must file a separate H-1B visa petition.

Leaving Cedars-Sinai
If an individual in H-1B status leaves CSMC before the end date on his/her H-1B approval notice, the VISA office is required to notify the U.S. Department of Labor and USCIS. Scholars should inform the VISA office if they complete their appointments prior to the expiration of their current H-1B status. Individuals in H-1B status should make sure that their departments are informed of their intending departure and their future contact information. 

If the H-1B holder’s employment is terminated prior to the end of the H-1B petition validity period, for any reason, under DHS regulations the employer is required to pay reasonable costs of return transportation to the H-1B worker's last place of residence abroad.

If an H-1B worker voluntarily terminates his or her employment, an employer is not liable for the cost of return transportation abroad.  

The H-1B employee must depart the United States on the final day of employment (by midnight) with the sponsoring employer, unless he or she has secured the H-1B sponsorship of another employer or otherwise changed immigration status.

Individuals intending to remain in the United States after leaving Cedars-Sinai should take the initiative to prepare and submit proper paperwork to maintain lawful immigration status. This may involve applying for H-1B status with another employer or changing to an entirely different visa category.  

Replacement Documents

Contact the VISA office immediately should you loose any of your immigration documents, i.e. passport, I-94 card, DS-2019, EAD card, I-797 Approval Notice, etc.

Should your passport is stolen or lost; you should contact the local police office to complete an official police report.  Often, your embassy/consulate may request for a copy of the police report prior to issuing you a replacement passport.  Contact your Embassy/Consulate.

Keep in mind that only your original documents will prove your legal status in the U.S. A copy is not sufficient evidence.