Travel Information

Travel by students and scholars in non-immigrant status requires advance planning and careful attention to details. The most important thing is to make certain you have all the required documents with your passport (not packed in your suitcase) when you arrive back in the U.S. Check with the Visa & Immigration Services Administrative (VISA) office before you leave if you have any questions, particularly if you need to apply for a new visa.


All international students, scholars and family members planning to depart temporarily from the U.S. must have:

  • a valid passport in order to exit and re-enter the U.S. The passport must also be valid for a minimum of six months into the future at the time of re-entry to the U.S. There are a few exceptions to this passport rule outlined on the Department of State website.

  • a valid U.S. visa to re-enter the U.S.   


Please check your documents well in advance of your trip and if you need a new visa go to the appropriate U.S. Embassy or Consulate website to find instructions about making an appointment, required documents, etc. Some individuals will be subject to lengthy screenings (referred to as administrative processing) which can delay the issuance of the new visa by weeks.