We are a fully accredited program that accepts four residents per year, all categorical. The program is five years in length with four and a half years spent at Cedars-Sinai, including three months at Cedars-SInai Kerlan-Jobe Institute, and six months spent at Children's Hospital Los Angeles and Shriners Hospital for Children.
The vast majority of the clinical rotations take place at Cedars-Sinai Medical Center allowing the residents to easily attend all conferences. The hospital provides superb on-call facilities, excellent staff and ancillary services including a magnet nursing program, a dedicated orthopaedic surgical floor, around the clock intravenous, phlebotomy and blood gas teams, EKG services, radiology technicians and patient transport services. In addition to a salaried position, residents receive several added benefits including a monthly housing and food allowances and free parking.
The rotations are detailed below:
- Six months of General Surgery: Surgical Oncology, Vascular Surgery, General Surgery Night Float, Acute Care/ Trauma Surgery, Surgery Intensive Care, Plastics and Reconstructive Surgery
- Six months of Orthopaedic Surgery: Four Months of Orthopaedic Trauma three blocks), One Month of Hand, One Month of Musculoskeletal Radiology/Pediatric Orthopaedics)
- Two-month rotation blocks consisting of: Orthopaedic Trauma (three blocks), and one block each of Spine, Adult Reconstruction, and Hand
- Second year residents will also take in-house overnight call approximately every fourth night. We do not have a night float system. Post-call days are strictly enforced.
- Three-month rotation blocks consisting of: Sports Medicine (Cedars-Sinai Kerlan-Jobe Institute), Adult Reconstruction, Orthopaedic Trauma, Pediatrics (Children’s Hospital of Los Angeles)
- Third year residents will also take home operative call over the weekends approximately every two to three weeks.
- Two to Three Month Rotation blocks consisting of: Pediatrics (Shriners Hospital for Children Los Angeles), Foot and Ankle, Orthopaedic Oncology, Spine Surgery, and Hand and Upper Extremity Surgery.
- Fourth year residents will also take home operative/chief call approximately every eight days.
- Orthopaedic Trauma (three months), Adult Reconstruction (two months), Sports Medicine (two months), Elective (three months), Research (two months)
- Chief residents will also take home operative/chief call approximately every eight days.
Have Questions or Need Help?
Contact us if you have questions or would like to learn more about the Orthopaedic Surgery Residency Program at Cedars-Sinai.