Cedars-Sinai Diversity Equity and Inclusion Program
As part of our Diversity Equity and Inclusion Program, Cedars-Sinai encourages qualified medical students to apply for the Arthur I. Johnson, MD, Visiting Clerkship Scholarship, which provides support to 20 selected fourth-year students from groups that are underrepresented in the medical profession.
Selected students will have the opportunity to participate in a clinical rotation or clinical research elective, choosing from a multidisciplinary list that ranges from anesthesiology to surgery.
An Honorable Namesake
The late Arthur Johnson, MD was an Obstetrician and Gynecologist and the first African American Chief of Staff at Cedars-Sinai. He created mentoring programs for youth at public schools, designed an educational program to reduce breast cancer in underserved communities through early detection, served as Director of the L.A. Free Clinic for many years, and co-chaired the first Diversity Committee at Cedars-Sinai. Over the years he became the first physician in the hospital's history to hold all elected offices of the medical staff.
About the Diversity Equity and Inclusion Program
The Diversity Equity and Inclusion Program seeks to increase:
- Medical student awareness of opportunities in academic and community medicine at Cedars-Sinai
- Student exposure to the medical center and graduate medical leadership
- The number of students applying to the Cedars-Sinai training programs from historically underrepresented minority groups and from socioeconomically disadvantaged backgrounds
The program offers educational grants of $2,500 to 20 students to help defray transportation and housing costs during their rotations at Cedars-Sinai. It also provides the opportunity to mentor and network with other Cedars-Sinai house staff, faculty and students.
How to Apply
Students need to email their completed application and supporting documentation by the established deadline.
Email the following documents:
- Completed Diversity Program application
- Student letter stating qualifications and intention to participate in the Diversity Program
- Letter of endorsement, including details about the student’s qualifications for the program
- Current CV
*Electives are offered through the Visiting Students Learning Opportunities (VSLO) program. For students from U.S. medical schools that are not VSLO participants, please contact our office at 310-423-7888 or MedStudentElectives@cshs.org.
Scholarship Selection and Stipend Award
All applications received by the due date will be reviewed by a committee of attendings and residents who select the most qualified candidates. All candidates will be notified of the decision at least one month prior to the start of their rotation. Selected students will receive their stipend in two installments: One-half paid before the start of the rotation and the second half paid before the rotation ends.
Application Submission Deadline
- June–July electives: submit by May 1, 2023
- August–September electives: submit by June 20, 2023
- October–December electives: submit by Aug. 20, 2023
Have Questions or Need Help?
Medical Education Office
700 N. San Vicente Blvd., Suite G532
West Hollywood, CA 90069