Eligibility and Application
Scholarship eligibility is based on belonging to an underrepresented group such as BIPOC, women, LGBTQ+, persons with disabilities and more. If you want to apply but don’t meet requirements for an RCF scholarship, select the Diversity in Neuroscience option on our application form.
Scholarships and Pathways in Neuroscience promotes diversity in science while offering a unique opportunity in one of the nation’s top neurology and neurosurgery hospitals. Awardees spend a year at Cedars-Sinai in Los Angeles, benefiting from:
- Hands-on experience
- Networking with experts and peers
- Learning from leaders in the field
- A range of research areas including nanomedicine, Alzheimer's disease, blood-brain barrier and drug delivery, gene therapy and discovery, and more
Scholars will receive an annual salary commensurate with their education and research experience, up to $6,000 annually to offset the cost of housing (prorated into an hourly rate added to their base hourly rate), and a sign-on bonus up to $4,000 to offset the cost of relocating to Los Angeles.
Scholarship Eligibility and Requirements
If you’re a member of an underrepresented community as described above and have a passion for neuroscience, you can apply if you are also:
- A U.S. citizen or permanent resident
- 18 or older
- A third- or fourth-year undergraduate, a graduate student, currently enrolled in medical school or awaiting acceptance to medical school or a residency program
- Able to spend the agreed-upon time in Los Angeles and arrange your own travel and accommodations
Previous awardees are eligible to apply for a subsequent year.
How to Apply
Selection Process and Key Dates
Applications are reviewed by a Selection Committee comprised of neurosurgeons and research scientist faculty members in the Department of Neurosurgery. The committee’s exact membership may change year to year. The review process begins once the submission deadline has passed. Don’t forget the following dates.
- Annual deadline for submission: April 15
- Notification and final selection: by May 15
- Onboarding of awardees: begins in July