Otolaryngology - Head & Neck Surgery Research
The Cedars-Sinai Otolaryngology - Head and Neck Surgery Research team is dedicated to advancing the field of otolaryngology through thoughtful and innovative research.
With active studies ongoing in all facets of otolaryngology, our team of physician-scientists is committed to delivering the highest standard for clinical care in addition to performing basic and clinical research to discover novel therapies.
From the bench to the bedside, our researchers work diligently on a wide variety of basic science, outcome and translational studies.
- U.S. physicians rank among the highest in the world in antibiotic prescribing rates. The potential adverse effects from antibiotic use are an area of active clinical investigation. Arthur Wu, MD, is performing research on the effects of antibiotics on the efficacy of the flu vaccine.
- The incidence of thyroid cancer has more than doubled in the last 30 years. The current standard of care for papillary thyroid microcarcinoma is immediate surgery. Allen Ho, MD, is a principal investigator for a clinical trial investigating thyroid cancer active surveillance instead of immediate surgery.
- Osteoradionecrosis is a disease of the jawbone that can occur as a complication from radiation therapy. Jon Mallen-St. Clair, MD, PhD, has a long-standing research interest in tissue regeneration techniques and the use of cellular technologies to improve our ability to treat and reconstruct the jawbone in osteoradionecrosis.
- Equils O, Lekaj K, Fattani S, Wu AW, Liu GC. Proposed mechanism for anosmia during COVID-19: The role of local zinc distribution. J Transl Sci. 2020; 7:1-2
- Ho AS, Luu M, Shafqat I, Mallen-St Clair J, Chen MM, Chen Y, Jain M, Ali N, Patio C, Filarski CF, et al. Predictive impact of metastatic lymph node burden on distant metastasis across papillary thyroid cancer variants. Thyroid. 2021;31(10):1549-1557.
- Hsue VB, Itamura K, Wu AW, Illing EA, Sokoloski KJ, Weaver BA, Anthony BP, Hughes N, Ting JY, Higgins TS. Topical Oral and Intranasal Antiviral Agents for Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19). Adv Exp Med Biol. 2021;1327:169-189
Meet the Team
Learn more about the Otolaryngology - Head and Neck Surgery Research team of medical doctors and published researchers who investigate novel technologies and treatments as well as work directly with patients in clinical trials.
Have Questions or Need Help?
Contact us if you have questions, or wish to learn more about Otolaryngology - Head and Neck Surgery Research at Cedars-Sinai.
West Medical Office Tower
8635 W. Third St., Suite 590W
Los Angeles, CA 90048