The Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine, named the 2014 Lab of the Year by the prominent magazine Medical Laboratory Observer for its commitment to quality patient care, offers the most up-to-date analysis for hematologic lesions to provide sophisticated diagnostic, therapeutic and prognostic information. These include a 10-color flow cytometer and various molecular studies, such as next-generation sequencing. Fellows can take advantage of a very large collection of interesting case slides and captured images from the department’s archives, as well as many systematic review materials for flow cytometry and histology developed by the hematopathology faculty. Additionally, the strong hematology-oncology services in the institution allow for in-depth education in the clinical aspects of hematologic diseases.
- Practical-Haemostasis — A practical guide to laboratory haemostasis
- The Fritsma Factor — Interactive hemostasis resource
- International Society on Thrombosis and Haemostasis — Leading thrombosis- and hemostasis-related professional organization focused primarily on blood coagulation and hemorrhagic disorders
Molecular and Cytogenetics
- Atlas of Genetics and Cytogenetics in Oncology and Haematology — Search by disorder, chromosome abnormality or gene.
- OMIM (Online Mendelian Inheritance in Man) — A comprehensive, authoritative compendium of human genes and genetic phenotypes that is freely available and updated daily.
- Gene Tests — A medical genetics information resource.
American Society of Hematology
With more than 17,000 members from nearly 100 countries, the American Society of Hematology is the world’s largest professional society serving both clinicians and scientists around the world who are working to conquer blood diseases. The society’s mission is to further the understanding, diagnosis, treatment and prevention of disorders affecting the blood, bone marrow and the immunologic, hemostatic and vascular systems by promoting research, clinical care, education, training and advocacy in hematology.
International Society on Thrombosis and Haemostasis
The International Society of Thrombosis and Haemostasis (ISTH) offers a variety of educational programs for those who have a scientific interest in thrombosis, hemostasis and vascular biology, including advanced training courses and the ISTH Congress, which takes place every two years. Clinicians, researchers, educators, students/trainees, allied healthcare professionals and industry partners attend these events to exchange the latest in scientific innovation and to advance the overall understanding, prevention, diagnosis and treatment of thrombotic and bleeding disorders.