Compensation Benefits and Policy Information
The compensation policy for Cedars-Sinai graduate medical education students is comprehensive, covering an annual stipend, housing allowance, reimbursements, insurance, retirement savings, healthcare, training, education and many other generous benefits. Read details about each of these benefits and access our Resident and Fellow Physician-In-Training Agreements.
Contract and Appointment Policy Information
Annual Stipend Effective January 3, 2021:
- GL-1 $61,900.80
- GL-2 $63,876.80
- GL-3 $66,393.60
- GL-4 $68,681.60
- GL-5 $71,094.40
- GL-6 $74,006.40
- GL-7 $76,211.20
Housestaff employed by Cedars-Sinai Medical Center will receive a total of $10,000 each year to help offset housing costs. This amount will be paid as a monthly stipend of $833.33 (taxable income), to be included in the first pay period of each month, while in a GME training program.
Postgraduate Training License: All trainees who have not completed 36 months of ACGME/RCPSC accredited training must obtain a postgraduate training license (PTL) within 180 days from the start date of training. These fees will be reimbursed.
Unlimited California License: All trainees who have completed 36 months of accredited training must obtain an unlimited California Physician and Surgeon’s license within 90 days of their 36-month accredited training completion. These fees will be reimbursed.
New housestaff who fall outside of the parameters listed above are required to have an unlimited California license as a condition of starting training, and license fees are not reimbursable. If your license expires during training, renewal fees are reimbursable.
New housestaff who are required to obtain a DEA certificate as a condition of starting training are responsible for the fees associated with obtaining the certificate. If the DEA certificate is obtained during training, or current certification expires during training, the fees will be reimbursed.
House staff enrolled in Cedars-Sinai programs who must take USMLE Step 3 during their training at Cedars-Sinai will be reimbursed for the application fee paid to the Federation of State Medical Boards.
- Paid Time Off: Four (4) calendar weeks of paid time off each academic year to cover vacations, holidays and incidental sick leave* (if all sick leave hours have been used—see SICA below*).
- GME Leave Instruction (staff access)
*Pursuant to Cedars-Sinai Leave and Disability Management policies
Parking, uniform laundry service and lab coats are provided free of charge. Private sleeping/nap rooms and meal cards to subsidize meals are available. Food service is available on campus at all times.
The Cedars-Sinai GME Graduate Medical Education office offers reimbursement for round-trip transportation costs for residents/fellows who determine that they are too fatigued to drive home safely after an extended patient care shift. Reimbursable transportation services include app-based services such as Uber or Lyft, or conventional taxi. The reimbursement covers the cost from the medical center or any local affiliated training site to which the resident/fellow is assigned to the verifiable home address of the resident/fellow and a return trip for the resident/fellow to pick up his/her car at the training site at a later time.
Additional details and FAQs are available from the GME office (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- Medical, Dental, Vision, and Pharmacy Benefits: Group health, dental, vision and pharmacy benefits are provided for housestaff and eligible dependents. There are premium and copay costs for some options. Health insurance is effective the day the program is entered; dental insurance is effective six months from the date of entry.
- Flexible Spending Accounts: Housestaff can establish Healthcare and Dependent Care accounts that allow for spending untaxed income on eligible healthcare and dependent care expenses.
- Life: A $50,000 life insurance policy is provided by Cedars-Sinai. Supplemental life and accidental death insurance may be purchased.
- Professional Liability: Cedars-Sinai provides professional liability insurance coverage in such form and amounts as generally provided by the medical center with respect to events occurring during a Physician-in-Training's participation in the training, including during rotations to other institutions. Coverage is not provided for "moonlighting".
- Disability: The Medical Center provides long-term disability insurance. A contribution toward State Disability Insurance is also provided.
- Workers' Compensation: The Medical Center provides Workers' Compensation Insurance, which pays medical and loss of income benefits for work-incurred illness or injuries.
- All house staff are required to have pre-hire health screening at Employee Health Services, as well as annual physical exams. Medical care for work-incurred accidents and illnesses is also provided..
- Work and Life Matters provides a full range of counseling and referral services to physicians-in-training enrolled in training programs sponsored by Cedars-Sinai. This also covers the trainee’s family.
- Cedars-Sinai provides an educational program regarding physician impairment, including substance abuse.
- Training in Basic Life Support and Advanced Life Support is provided by the Simulation Center.
- The Continuing Medical Education program offers many classes, which you may attend without cost.
- The Medical Library provides Medline and internet training free of charge.
- Individual programs may provide funding for professional presentations at state and national meetings, and for senior board review registration.
Our programs are led by some of the nation's best physician-educators. We are at the forefront of medicine and innovation, translating groundbreaking discoveries into successful treatments with global impact.
Women's Guild Simulation Center
Learn about some of the most advanced clinical skills training and technology in healthcare.
Have Questions or Need Help?
Contact us to learn more about Cedars-Sinai's education programs.