Contract and Appointment Policy Information
- Appointment Policy Information
- 2016-17 Resident Contract
- 2016-17 Fellow Contract
- 2016-17 Attachments Residents and Fellows Accredited Programs
2016-17 Annual Stipend
Effective as of Jan. 8, 2017, physicians in training will receive annual stipends as follows:
- GL-1 - $56,922.53
- GL-2 - $58,747.10
- GL-3 - $61,059.65
- GL-4 - $63,181.25
- GL-5 - $65,366.50
- GL-6 - $68,039.71
- GL-7 - $70,076.45
Benefit Booklet 2016-17
Your Choice Benefits Guide
This booklet details insurance, leave, Work and Life Matters and retirement saving programs.
- Paid Time Off: four calendar weeks (20 days total) of paid time off each academic year to cover vacations, holidays and incidental sick leave* (if all sick leave hours have been used - see SICA below*)
- Family Leave*: by request
- Sick Leave (SICA): 40 hours (five days) each academic year for absences due to medical needs (illness, medical appointments, preventive care) for yourself as well as for those of certain family members, or for reasons associated with being the victim of violence
- Professional Leave: provided under Paid Time Off benefits; additional benefits vary by training program
*Pursuant to Cedars-Sinai Leave and Disability Management policies
Parking, Laundry and Lab Coats, Sleeping Quarters and Food Services
- Parking, uniform laundry service and lab coats are provided free of charge. Individual programs provide sleeping quarters and a subsidy to cover meals for housestaff assigned overnight in-house call. Food service is available on campus at all times.
- Medical and Dental: Group health and dental insurance are provided for housestaff and eligible dependents. There are premium costs for some options in both categories. Health insurance is effective the day the program is entered; dental insurance is effective six months from the date of entry.
- Flex Plan: Housestaff may have expenses for group health and dental premiums and child care expenses deducted from their stipend checks on a pre-tax basis to reduce Federal and State tax withholdings.
- Life: A $30,000 life insurance policy is provided by Cedars-Sinai. Supplemental life and accidental death insurance may be purchased.
- Professional Liability: Cedars-Sinai provides professional liability insurance coverage in such form and amounts as generally provided by Cedars-Sinai with respect to events occurring during a physician-in-training's participation in the training program, including during rotations to other institutions. Coverage is not provided for "moonlighting".
- Disability: Cedars-Sinai provides long-term disability insurance. A contribution toward State Disability Insurance is also provided.
- Workers' Compensation: Cedars-Sinai provides Workers' Compensation Insurance, which pays medical and loss of income benefits for work-incurred illness or injuries.
Tax Deferred Annuity Program
- All housestaff are eligible to participate in Cedars-Sinai’s 403-(b) tax shelter annuity program available through VOYA. Contributions may be made on a pre-tax basis.
- All employees are required to have pre-hire health screening at Employee Health Services, as well as annual physical exams. Medical care for work-incurred accidents and illnesses is also provided.
- Work and Life Matters provides a full range of counseling and referral services to physicians-in-training enrolled in training programs sponsored by Cedars-Sinai. This also covers the trainee’s family.
- Cedars-Sinai provides an educational program regarding physician impairment, including substance abuse.
- Training in basic life support and advanced life support are provided by the Graduate Medical Education Office.
- The Continuing Medical Education program offers many classes, which you may attend without cost.
- The Medical Library provides Medline and Internet training free of charge.
- Individual programs may provide funding for professional presentations at state and national meetings, and for senior board review registration.
- Email and on-campus Internet access are provided.
- Individual programs provide phones and/or pagers.
- Discount tickets for cultural events, movies, amusement parks, etc. can be purchased from Recreation Connection, an on-site program.
- The Rideshare Program allows those who carpool or arrive via alternate means (e.g., walking, bus, bicycle) to earn gift certificates to restaurants, stores and major attractions. A Rideshare office is available on campus to assist you with alternate transportation arrangements.
- Interest-free loans up to $1,500 can be obtained through the GME Office. Payments are automatically deducted from payroll and loans must be repaid in full by the completion of training at Cedars-Sinai.
- Work and Life Matters provides information on housing in the area.